Friday, March 6, 2015

Serving is a Lifestyle

    As we have begun a new year the Lord has impressed on my heart a more intentional call to serve. What does that look like and how can we more effectively serve those around us. First, let me say that to really serve as the Lord intended us too we must be in a place where we  fellowship with him daily, in His word and in prayer. This is how we begin to hear the Lord speak and prick our hearts to act on His behalf.
    I was at a women's retreat a few weekends ago and got to hear a sweet friend share how she and her family have weaved serving others into their daily lives.  This was such a confirmation of the Lords working in my heart in this area.  I have always had a heart for serving but through the years feel like it has been sparatic at times. I have quenched the spirits nudging often times due to "business" even church business. Can you imagine that we can  get so busy doing church work that we lose site of "His work".  Our desire to be active in the church  is wonderful and God honoring, but if we are not careful , it can be all consuming to the point of neglecting the call to serve and love the lost community outside of our church walls.
    The Lord will prompt your heart daily to the needs around you if you are in daily contact with Him. He speaks when we get still and listen. We cannot be thoroughly equipped for service without ongoing exposure to Scripture. This week as I asked the Lord to prick my heart to the needs of others and it was amazing to me how He spoke just because I asked. The blessings from serving are unmeasureable if we will just listen and act. 2 Thessalonians 1:11 "To this end we always pray for you, that God may make you worthy of His calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by His power" I encourage you to pray for flexibility in your schedule and creativity as you serve others. It is an exciting command and calling on our lives as believers! This is my friend Rhonda's website if you would like to see some of her creativity in serving.  www.cultivatingahome.com    Happy Serving!

No comments: