Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Keeping Christmas Simple

Only 9 days till Christmas! The pressure is on! Are all the presents purchased, Christmas cards mailed, meals planned, house in order for company, goodies for neighbors and friends baked and delivered, Christmas programs and parties attended? I don't know about you but it can get quite busy and overwhelming to say the least this time of year.  I honestly have not accomplished my goal of keeping Christmas simple but I'm getting closer each year in my heart anyway. One of my all time favorite quotes from Elizabeth Elliot has always been, "Do the next thing, there are many good things but choose the wise things to partake in".  Simplifying Christmas begins in the heart. It is the desires of our heart that drive our daily decisions and plans.  Gods word tells us that the desires of our heart are either rooted in the pleasures of this world or in  pleasing Him.  Seeking Him first in all we do will drive our desires to align with His will.  This may seem radical to some of you but my vision of a simple Christmas would look something like this:  Instead of attending all the fancy musicals and programs, I would love to be spending my time sharing the Story of Christmas with the many children in foster care or orphanages in our area. Instead of spending so much time deciding on gifts and the purchasing of them, I wish we could combine our resources and give more to missions or specific local families in need.  Instead of always spending all of our holidays with our close families and friends at various parties and events , we could share our time by inviting those around us who are lost and much less fortunate into our homes to love on and share Christ with. I would love to be apart of a celebration that truly focuses on the Heart of our Savior ,which I believe would involve putting into action, plans that focus and prioritize the reaching of the lost around us. Can you imagine what our homes and churches would look like if this was how we choose to celebrate and honor our Savior this time of year! I cant help but think how it must grieve His heart that so much of our time and focus is really not about Him at all. Yes, we may sing and praise and share Him from the choir lofts and pulpits of our churches ,which is all good, but how are we spreading His story  outside of our church buildings? God forgive me for the amount of time I've spent in stores and shopping malls and online looking for just the right presents when so many are sad, lonely, destitute and lost. Simplifying Christmas is  about how and what we spend our time on, which is a reflection of where our heart truly is this time of year. My prayer is that the husbands and fathers of our Christian homes will lead their families in this direction during this season. What an impact on our children and our world this could make! Have a blessed Christmas !

No comments: