Thursday, September 18, 2014

Love is a Choice

Well,  I  have been married to my wonderful husband 34 years. I can hardly believe it ,but can still remember that evening very well. The most astounding part to me is that, as excited and in love I was at that time it just doesn't compare to the love and excitement we now share as a couple. A good marriage truly does get better with time. Has our marriage always been perfect, by no means. A good marriage takes work, forgiveness, grace, unconditional love and most of all ,an attitude of unselfishness! Yes, I do believe when you commit to a spouse it should be with the mindset that this is a covenant with the Lord until death do us part. Only under circumstances out of our control should divorce ever be an option and even then I truly believe Gods heart is to ultimately seek restoration if possible. To receive the rewards of a long and strong marriage you have to faithfully pray and seek the Lord daily. Our marriage is by no means perfect but we do serve a perfect God who created marriage to be the perfect picture of his love for his bride ,the church, and his commitment to her.


Marriage is Gods way of preparing us for eternity. How exciting to be apart of something so much bigger than we are. So thankful that we are all apart of His master plan. We "choose" to make our marriages work. And it is work wouldn't you agree! Our initial "In Love" feelings are not always there or may have been lost for some time. Our marriage is a testimony of this, during the childrearing years our relationship struggled, and I turned 30, the midlife crisis age for most women.  I was up to my ears in diapers and sleepless nights and my hard working husband was gone many nights. "This isn't how it supposed to be, what happened to my storybook marriage". I often felt distant and very tired! I cried out to the Lord and looked to his word for wisdom.  In bible times, marriages were arranged (Don't think that is such a bad idea these days:), There was no time to "Fall in love". They were just married and that was that. After reading these stories over and over ,I realized something, love was a CHOICE! They choose to obey God and the covenant of marriage He had placed them in. And guess what? The feelings followed. This was a revelation in my marriage, and once I committed to making that choice daily, things began to change . You see, my attitude and choice to love changed me and that changed everything. Ladies whether we like it or not we set the tone of the home. Our speech ,emotions and body language,  are key the second our husbands walk in the door. My choice to love ,followed by a lot of prayer and bible study each day, made all the difference. Side note: if you want your husband to change, pray that the Lord will change you first.
It doesn't happen over night but I promise the Lord will bless your "Choice".

No comments: