Friday, March 26, 2010

" Lord, I need a Vacation"

Vacations or should I say "time of refreshment and renewal" are so important not only for yourself but also your family. I was one of those mothers who was rarely away from my children and always had a difficult time leaving them . I have always enjoyed motherhood and felt that being a wife and mother is the greatest and most rewarding calling there is. I never felt like my children were a burden or kept me from "fulfilling my dreams" You see being a wife and mother had always been my dream since I was a little girl "playing house". I wanted to be like my mom. I dreamed of growing up to be like her , she was my superhero, she always reflected an attitude of fulfillment and contentment in being a stay at home wife and mother. She knew that in order to be the wife and mother God called her to be she needed times of re-fueling. I cannot stress enough to you the importance of your children feeling that your "joy" is found in your relationship with Jesus Christ which in turn enables you to exude a joy and love in being their mother. Re-fueling enables you to live this in front of them day in and day out without "growing weary". No matter what happens in your life and family children need to feel that your greatest joy comes in serving them. Humility in admitting mistakes and putting their needs before yours is "truly serving" your family. I would often tell my children that they brought me so much joy and I thanked the Lord for giving them to me daily. Yes "life happened" and it wasn't always easy and we had ,like any family our difficult days, but I always reminded them of the blessing they were to their father and I ,and we couldn't ever imagine our lives without them. I know you are wondering what this all has to do with needing a vacation. Well in order to "not grow weary in well doing", it is important that you take time away from your children to be refreshed and renewed for this awesome calling on your life". I often remember telling my husband that it was amazing what just 24 hrs did for our marriage and relationships with our children. It gave me time to reflect and regroup and most importantly regain a fresh perspective and renewed commitment to loving and serving them. In closing I encourage you to thank the Lord daily for the privilege of being a wife and mother. Plan and take time ,even if it is just a few hours, asking the Lord to fill you with renewed energy and joy and contentment in your calling as a wife and mother.
I can honestly say that when you do this you will find that even the most mundane things like folding laundry and or changing dirty diapers will bring you joy and fulfillment. Don't ever think that being a mother is just "a job" but inturn know that it is a "privileged and esteemed high calling" on your life. God hand picked you to be the mother of your children, His greatest treasures have been entrusted into your care! Thank you Lord for entrusting me with 5 of your treasures. I am eternally grateful!
"Behold, Children are a heritage from the Lord." Psalm 127:3

No comments: